Tuesday, March 16, 2010

To Blog or Not to Blog

rusty_typewriter I recently learned about Blogger’s new Template Designer feature.  Suddenly, a whole wealth of design possibilities became available to me, and my first reaction was “Wow!”  My second reaction, however, was an incredible wave of guilt and shame as I realized just how long it has been since my last post. 

What is the point of getting excited over design potential if I don’t add content from time to time?

Other friends have continued to be faithful at the whole blogging experience:

http://vanbontasguitars.blogspot.com/
http://wegovorimblog.blogspot.com/
http://peart93.blogspot.com/

But, as for me?  Well, I don’t really have an acceptable answer to that, and it’s making me think long and hard about whether I should attempt to fire up the old initiative, or whether I should just cut my losses and admit defeat in this area.

I enjoyed writing while I was doing it regularly.

I also have a hard time sustaining momentum after a while.

If I were to stick around for a little while longer, I think that I’ll need to refine the purpose and intent of this blog to better clarify what I mean by “Better Than the First Half”, and to write posts focusing on whatever that is.

Thoughts, anyone?

Anybody?

1 comment:

  1. Joe, although I've always enjoyed reading your writing; I only just read this post... 5 months after you posted it!

    My thoughts are that the public publishing of blogs is, for the reader, more interesting when it touches a place of familiarity to their own life; and for the writer, driven by the desire to share something from their life. So, with that in mind, your decision "To blog or not to blog" has already been made.

    In my opinion, this means 2 things for your situation: (1) not blogging is not "admitting defeat", it just means you don't have enough desire to share something in your life; and (2) you already made the decision "to blog" by creating this blog and posting to it; at that time you had the desire to share something in your life. Even if you never create another post again, your previous posts could still touch a place of familiarity in someone's life 10 years from now.

    Initiative is driven by desire. When you have enough desire to share something, your initiative will follow!

    ReplyDelete