Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Few (for me) Words on 2009

By now, I’m sure the blogosphere (do they still call it that?) is abuzz with reminiscences and analysis of 2009, or even of the entire first decade of the 21st century.  I had a brief thought of new_years_ballcasting my words in that general direction as well, but thought better of it.  There are far more articulate, humorous, insightful people than myself already saying all there could possibly be said about what Time Magazine described as “The Decade from Hell.”

I don’t know about that, but I suppose it’s all a matter of perspective.  As for me, however, I’m not going to waste my words on negativity, but I’m choosing to look at some of the blessings that God gave me in 2009.

Here’s just the first few that come to mind:

  • I rediscovered my love for writing, even as my long-standing writer’s block crumbled into dust.  No, I haven’t been published.  No, I haven’t written a book, nor am I in the process of writing anything “big” as of yet, but there are stories and poems within me gaining voice.
  • I reconnected with several friends through Facebook, where I also made many new friendships with people I had known in a whole other lifetime.
  • I stopped talking about entering my photography into the annual fair, and I actually did it, thanks to my wife who was a constant source of encouragement.  Not only did I have the sense of satisfaction from putting something of me “out there”, but I managed to win a blue ribbon for my efforts!  Sure, it’s just a photography contest in a small town country fair, but to me, I might as well have won the Nobel Peace Prize.  (Okay, slight exaggeration, but it really was a big deal to me…)
  • Again, I stopped talking about someday taking the Mensa admission test, and actually did it, again partly due to the loving support and encouragement of my wife.  The test itself was a fun experience, but I don’t think anything in 2009 floored me more than receiving my acceptance and welcome letter in the mail.  That particular day had been a very difficult, emotionally draining day, and the letter was an unexpected ray of sunshine through otherwise dark and dreary storm clouds.

In many ways, 2009 was, for me, a year of redemption, whether measured in friendships, in talents, in brain cells;  at 40, I’d wandered through much of my life feeling as if my potential had long since been drained away in lost opportunities and neglected abilities.  Then, in the fall of 2008, after a 20-year “break”, I re-enrolled in college and discovered that I still knew a thing or two.

open_roadIt was through 2009, however, that I learned that somewhere along the line, I’ve developed a much greater passion for life and learning than I’ve ever had.  Suddenly, my life is not defined by the years rapidly vanishing in the rearview mirror, nor by the indiscernible fog of the future, nor by the fleetingness of the scenery as it races by me.

Instead, I am simply enjoying the journey along the way.

Oh, and writing about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment