Friday, December 17, 2010

What Are You Good At?

‎"You owe it to us all to get on with what you’re good at." ~ W. H. Auden

What are you good at?  What do you think you are good at?  What do you dream about being good at?

101007-32_thumb4I pose these questions to you, dear hypothetical reader, because I am thoroughly convinced that each and every member of society has something unique to offer.  Your skills, talents, and abilities may impact thousands of people, or may touch the life of one, but no gifting shared with others.is wasted.  Each of us carries within us something that somebody else needs, and to hold back from stepping out into your calling out of fear is to deprive others.

We may or may not know what that is.  But somewhere, deep inside our spirits, there is a restless itch that nags at us for expression.  It is that inner whisper that calls to us, and never stays silent for long.  For me, it is writing, it is photography, it is music.  Am I “good” at these things?  I’m sure that it depends upon who you ask.  What’s important, though, is if I discover within me the raw undeveloped elements of talent, it is my responsibility to nurture it.

Nobody ever begins ‘good’ at anything, no matter how effortless it seems.  If the passion is there, pursue it.  Make mistakes.  Fail.  Try again.  Above all, don’t give up.  As W. H. Auden wrote, “You owe it to us all to get on with what you’re good at.”

So I ask you again – What are you good at?  What do you want to be good at?

No comments:

Post a Comment